The Yo-Yo Effect is the public enemy number one!
When you finally manage to get close to or reach your dream shape, you somehow bounce back a couple of pounds. How are you supposed to maintain that shape?
Wherever the Yo-Yo Effect pops up, children go into hiding, women start screaming and even the strongest men faint! But, the Yo-Yo effect doesn’t sneak up on you when you least expect it and it is not hiding under your bed, waiting for your leg to dangle from the edge. This common effect, however, is the number one reason why most people believe that diets just don’t work for them! The Yo-Yo Effect is not the cause of why people loose their shape after a diet, it is a symptom of bad habits, missing routines, and of believing that diets have an expiration date. A diet, in the broader sense, is a lifestyle choice, and binges, tiredness, and hunger pangs shouldn’t be part of it – and they won’t if you diet properly and consistently.
Maintaining your shape may be the hardest part but it will also be the most rewarding part – if you embrace the lifestyle of the past weeks and integrate it into your future lifestyle.
In the past days, your body changed but so did your mindset. You got to get to know your body better and you raised your awareness of its needs and you hopefully also rediscovered it’s intrinsic beauty and strength. One could nearly assume that you’re not the same person as a month ago. Haven’t people told you that you look and act more confident, more energetic and more active? Yes? Well, it’s easy then. You already have your strategy set for a balanced day – all you need to do now is keep doing what you were doing during the #ShapeMeUp program. You already have proven to be a fighter. Act like it! Of course, you are allowed to take a day off from your diet. There’s no need to feel bad about Pizza dinner with friends once in a while! It’s not the cheat days that will add those extra pounds.
A diet is not a punishment, it’s a lifestyle
You learned so much, and integrated some wholesome new routines and hobbies to your life! Why would you just stop doing exactly that now? Don’t you want to become the best version of yourself? You started a beautiful journey of transformation from the inside and out, try to keep a minimum of healthy habits in your day to day life:
- Keep working out regularly! Higher muscle ratio automatically raises the base energy consumption simply by existing.
- Stay hydrated! Drink enough water every day. It helps not only for maintaining your weight. The benefits are numerous and long-lasting.
- Get yourself a balanced sleeping schedule. If you’re not a morning person, try going to bed one hour earlier instead. Your body and your brain will thank you.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. Try to convince family and friends to join you in your workouts or healthy cooking sessions after work. Having a support system will get you places.
- Your mom and dad did not try to torture you with fresh veggies. Grow up and eat your greens. You don’t have like all of them! Find one or two that you like. There’s plenty of the good stuff in them and less of the bad stuff.
That doesn’t sound so terrible, right? Five easy steps that can be integrated into every lifestyle and will help you keep that extra weight off. You got this!